Kasaragod district is the northernmost district of the State of Kerala. It is one of the rare districts in India which speaks as many as seven different languages (excluding dialects and tribal languages), with each spoken by a substantial number of people.
Kasaragod was part of the Kumbala Kingdom in which there were 64 Malayalam and Tulu villages. When the Vijayanagara Empire attacked Kasaragod, it was still under the Kolathiri Raja who had Nileshwaram as one of his capitals. During the decline of the Vijayanagara Empire, the administration of this area was vested with Ikkeri Nayakas. At the onset of collapse of the Vijayanagara Empire, Venkappa Nayaka declared independence to Ikkery. Kumbla, Chandragiri and Bekal are considered to be the chain of forts constructed or renovated by Shivappa Nayaka. Before the formation of Kerala, Kasaragod was a part of erstwhile South Canara district of Madras Presidency. Kasaragod became part of Kannur district following the reorganisation of states and formation of Kerala in November 1956. Kasaragod was declared as a district in the year 1984.